Fuel quality is crucial for fleets, trucks, and heavy equipment. From damaged engines to increased sulfur emissions, dirty fuel can affect business operations in negative ways. To prevent these expensive problems, it’s important to maintain fuel quality with diesel fuel polishing.
The Fuel Polishing Process
- A return/intake hose is inserted into the tank at the point where most contaminants like water and bacteria accumulate; the bottom.
- The intake hose then draws in the contaminated fuel; water and bacteria included.
- The contaminated fuel passes through separate filters, depending on the type of contaminants.
- Contaminants can be monitored through a clear section of the intake hose.
- The intake hose is re-positioned in the tank to make sure all areas are clean.
- At high velocity, the clean fuel is then returned to the tank through a return hose, which also flushes any leftover contaminants into the intake hose to continue the process.
Contaminated Diesel Fuel Symptoms
Knowing if you have dirty diesel is simple:
- Dark and hazy coloring
- Filters are clogged and slimy
- Tanks have floating debris and sludge
- Corroded fuel injectors
- Bad smell from fuel tank
- Loss of RPM and power
- Increased exhaust smoke
How Long Does Diesel Last?
Diesel fuel can last six months to a year with proper maintenance and cleaning practices. If fuel can’t be kept clean, dry, and cool, twelve months is the average it can last. Depending on how you store your diesel, fuel polishing maintenance should occur about once a year.
Diesel fuel polishing is a simple way to maintain the quality of your fuel while in storage. Keeping your fuel clean from contaminants means protecting your engines and fuel systems from corrosion, decreased performance, and expensive repairs. Setup a routine fuel tank cleaning schedule so you can stay ahead of natural fuel degradation.
What can I expect from Hart’s fuel polishing service?
You’ll meet with a trained technician who will come directly to your job site ready with a fuel quality assessment and our mobile fuel polishing system. Your fuel will then be cycled through several filters and conditioners that will make sure you get a full fuel tank cleaning.